Wedding venue in France: From an elevated position, at the edge of the Jura Mountains that dominate the plain of Ain, the village was almost certainly built originally from a defensive perspective. It has been inhabited since Roman times, confirmed by Roman coins discovered in the village, as well as by Gallic tribes, with druid axes having been found in the "Grand Champ".
Château des Buis has been family-owned and run since the 13th Century and passed down to each generation by marriage. In the 15th Century, it was placed under the protection of the Château of Varey (Varey de Chatillon), where it remained until the 18th Century. In 1780, the seigneur, councillor and adviser to the King acquired the building. The courtyard of the Château was used to give sheltered banquets in honour of the Party of the Federation in 1790. Arrested during the French Revolution (1789-1799), the former noble was eventually released with the Knight of Champollon, thanks to the intervention of the local residents – the same individuals that perhaps lit bonfires throughout the locality just a few months earlier. One of the richest property owners in the Empire, the noble was later appointed Mayor of the surrounding locality during the Restoration (1814- 1830), when Louis XVIII was again restored as King of France. Eventually, both the Château and surrounding land was given to his nephews, who kept it for a Century, before returning it to their relatives in 1918 – who have owned and lived in it to the current day.
The Château, formal garden and hand-painted fresco on the ceiling of coach entrance were registered on the French Inventory of Historic Monuments in 1949. A room on the second floor of the tower and the vault of the entry porch were also classified in 1977.